The Artist Way | Artist Date #1
What are artist's dates? I am reading and working through "The Artist Way" and one of the activities is called the "Artist Date". I am taking photos at Alex's birthday party this weekend coming and I thought would be nice to have one a live photography frame as a prop... you know like all those cool photo booths have these days. I shared this with Alex's mom and Aunty Fay and Alex's Aunt Fay showed me a simple template and I am using it and currently making own own version for a live photography frame. Some time after deciding to do this and mentally planning I thought I would challenge myself to completion and not just have it be a wishful thought and I committed to making it my first, although three weeks late, Artist Date.
This date took me to the craft supply store, through creating a mock up one evening, lots of back on forth on what's app and two evenings later I am working on the finishing touches and will go by Aunty Fay to do the finally sticking and prep. I only hope Alex would love his minion live frame, and we all know he would call it a car, cause that is the one word he knows right now and in his world everything is a car. Don't remember Alex...well he is the first baby I took photos of almost a year ago when he came home from hospital. He is also one of the first babies I have ever spent so much time with. So in my little world he is special. Very special.
If you know me you'd already know I do "Artist dates" already I just do not call it that. I am very fond of, and do it very often, taking myself out. I love solitude. It heals. I go on photowalks, evenings by the yacht club, spending time solo at any of my favorite local coffee shops and plant shop visits to window shop. The list is long and varied. While I do not consider myself an artist, now that I have a formal term to call the activity, I am glad to do two things to make my time in solitude, my Artist dates, something new and fresh, i.e.:
- do entirely new and different things
- challenge myself to make an "Artist Date" of some the things I've always wanted to do and never made time for
Now back to my minion in the making.... I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to complete him over the next two days..
I am in week three of the book, the Artist Date, and doing my week one date, because inspiration was late in coming. And that is ok. I know this. I already have ideas for my coming Artist Dates, here they are in no particular order:
- A photo walk by the Old PTSC bus terminal at the Kings Wharf San Fernando
- Making San Castles by the Beach
- Making Kokedama
- Hanging my Staghorn Fern.
- Macramé knots and plant hangers for my home studio
- DIY Mount photo prints https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2ossog5Ns,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKbH4F3Eqvw, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiagqWF7i6E
- Painting wall in studio some shade of forest green...
- Paint nails red
- Planing the a casual picnic. Inspired by my beautiful time in Gordes, France during a photography, styling and slow living retreat. Read all about that here.
- Paper Flowers
With Love from Freeport;